|10 min play fest logoThe submission period for Lucky Penny's 6th Annual Festival of 10 Minute Plays is now open. See timeline and submission guidelines below.
The "8 x 10" Ten Minute Play Festival has become a staple of our season and an audience favorite. At the beginning of each new year we ask writers from all over the country to send us scripts for ten-minute plays. We receive 100-200 each year, and our reading committee pours over them all and chooses eight plays that they feel are the best of the bunch. We then bring in a team of about 20 directors and actors to bring these stories to life. The "8 x 10" is part of our Season Subscriber package.
The timeline for the production of "8 x 10" is as follows:
Submission deadline: Must be postmarked by June 30, 2017
Evaluation period: July 1-Aug 30, 2017
Authors notified and selections announced: By Sept 1, 2017
Selection of director(s) and casts: By Nov 1, 2017
Rehearsal period: Jan-Feb 2018 (At directors' discretion)
Performance dates: Jan 19-Feb 4, 2018 (3 weekends)
Here are the SUBMISSION GUIDELINES. Please read and follow:
1. Submissions must be 10-minute plays. Authors should write for an adult audience. Comedy and drama, both musical and non-musical will be considered. Musical submissions must include sheet music/score as needed. Legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the submitting playwright.
2. Scripts and related materials must be postmarked by June 30, 2017.
3. Sets, lighting needs and other technical requirements must be minimal. Since the winning plays will be produced, no play considered technically un-produceable will be considered.
4. Maximum number of characters per play is four.
5. Running time is to be 10 minutes or less, which may mean 6-10 pages depending upon the density of dialogue. Authors are responsible for submitting work that is within the 10 minute running time limit. Cuts will be requested of the playwright for any selected play which runs over the limit regardless of the number of pages in the script.
6. Plays must be typed/word-processed, numbered, and stapled. Do not use binders or covers.
7. Plays must be presented in proper script format.
8. No electronic submissions will be allowed. (And please don't tell us "Hey, it's the 21st century! Other people accept email submissions!" We know that. We don't.)
9. All submissions are judged blind and this requires two types of cover pages. One, a separate cover letter, will include your name, address, phone number, e-mail and the play title. The other will be on each copy, but only showing the title. There can be no identifying information on the script other than the title. Do not include the author’s name on every page.
10. There is no limit to number of plays that an individual may submit, but each play must be accompanied by the proper cover pages as described. Only one play per author may be chosen.
11. Scripts cannot be returned. Lucky Penny Productions assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged scripts.
12. The eight best plays will be selected from all entries by the reading committee. Notification to authors will be made by Sept 1, 2017. The eight selected plays will be staged in Feb-Mar 2018.
13. The author of the play chosen as the "People's Choice" will receive a $100 honorarium from Lucky Penny.
To submit your play:
Mail 3 copies of each script along with the two types of cover pages to:
8 x 10: A Festival of 10 Minute Plays
Lucky Penny Productions
1357 Foster Road
Napa CA 94558
WAIVERS AND CONDITIONS:
The selection of directors, actors and designers for the selected plays is at the sole discretion of Lucky Penny Productions. An author may participate in the process if participation is requested by the producing company or the director selected for the project.
Entry of a script into this festival grants to Lucky Penny Productions the right to produce the entered play only for this specific event in Jan-Feb 2018 and authors retain all rights to their work for future production or publication.
The producing company reserves the right to remove and/or replace any play selected by the reading committee if, once in rehearsal, the play is found to be unproduceable as determined by the festival coordinator. Selection of a replacement play is at the sole discretion of the producing companies.
The producing companies reserve the right to reschedule or cancel the festival at their discretion if conditions beyond their control require it.
Authors, if their play is selected for production, grant to Lucky Penny Productions the right to use their name, biographical information and photo for purposes of publicity and marketing during the period Sept 1, 2017 through the performances dates in Feb 2018.
Submission of a script to this competition signifies the acceptance of these waivers and conditions if the play is selected for production.
Questions can be directed to Lucky Penny Managing Director Barry Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call or text to 707-738-2920.