|Theatre Suburbia, Northwest Houston's longest running all volunteer playhouse, is looking to produce a new Summer Mellerdramer in 2019.
Our theatre has produced crowd pleasing mellerdrammers each summer for many years. We have worked with published scripts like Little Nell the Orphan Girl by Nelson Goodhue, Deadwood Dick by Tom Taggert, Rascality on the Rig by William S Davis, and Curse of an Aching Heart by Herbert E Swayne as well as unpublished works by Eddie Cope, Paul Hager, Dave Brandl and other local writers.
Theatre Suburbia invites the playwriting community to submit new unpublished scripts for consideration. Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2019.
To qualify for consideration, the scripts should conform to the following guidelines:
• The script must have a running time between 90 and 120 minutes.
• The script should have 2 acts with one intermission.
• The main characters (villain, hero and heroine) should make their stage entrances within the first 10 pages of the script.
• The script should contain from 8 to 12 characters. Characters must be a minimum of 10 years old. Remember: children can be difficult to cast and this may affect final selection.
• The scripts should contain asides (in mellerdrammer fashion) for the characters. The villain should have the most, followed by the hero and heroine, and remaining cast should have a few. The asides help generate the audience responses for the main characters - boos and hisses for the villain, oohs and ahs for the heroine, and of course cheers for the hero.
• This is to be a family type show so absolutely no vulgar, offensive or suggestive language is allowed.
• Set requirements should be simple with a minimum number of locations (house, yard, street scene, etc) because the show is to be performed in the round and the popcorn must be easily cleaned after each performance.